Action Fraud, together with the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau and the City of London Police, are working in partnership with Rugby World Cup 2015 organisers to disrupt those entities seeking to sell Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets without permission from the official provider.
We would like rugby fans and the general public to be aware that they should only purchase tickets from official sources and avoid being scammed.
Purchase tickets from an official source and avoid losing your money.
- England Rugby 2015 Limited (“ER2015”) is the organising committee of Rugby World Cup 2015, due to take place in England and Cardiff from 18 September 2015 until 31 October 2015. Rugby World Cup Limited (“RWCL”) is the Tournament owner of Rugby World Cup 2015.
- RWCL/ER2015 wants to ensure that the public is not misled, by unauthorised ticket sellers, into believing they have purchased genuine Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets.
Where can you buy official match tickets?
- Tickets for the general public may only be purchased from ER2015 via official website at: http://www.rugbyworldcup.com
Where can you buy Official ticket-inclusive hospitality packages?
- These can only be purchased through the official hospitality programme, operated by Rugby Travel & Hospitality Ltd (“RTH”) at www.rugbyworldcup.com/hospitality.
Where can you buy Official ticket-inclusive Supporter Tours (i.e. travel packages)?
- RTH has appointed a number of Official Travel Agents (“OTAs”) from across the globe to provide official Rugby World Cup ticket-inclusive supporter tours and a list of such OTAs is available at: http://supportertours.rugbyworldcup.com/travel_agents_list.aspx).
How do you ensure that you are buying Rugby World Cup 2015 match tickets, supporter tours or hospitality packages from an official channel?
- To check whether a company or a certain website is an official Rugby World Cup 2015 channel, use the ‘Official Checker’ tool which is located here
Can you buy official Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets, supporter tours or hospitality packages elsewhere, other than as outlined above?
- There is no guarantee that Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets (and/or ticket inclusive packages) purchased from any source other than RWCL, ER2015, RTH (or those listed above) are genuine tickets (and/or ticket-inclusive packages).
- Fans who purchase tickets and/or ticket-inclusive packages from unauthorised sellers run the risk of paying over the odds for a non-existent ticket, ending up disappointed by not getting to see the match they paid to see, and risk having their personal and credit card details stolen for use in other crimes.
Points to note about unauthorised activity:
- It has been shown from the 2012 Olympics and other major events in the UK that ticket touts are often linked with other forms of criminality.
- The unauthorised sale, or offer for sale, of Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets (and/or ticket-inclusive packages) may constitute an infringement of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 or Fraud.
- All official Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets are subject to ER2015’s ticket terms and conditions, located at: (link removed as out of date)
- Tickets are STRICTLY NON-TRANSFERABLE and MUST NOT BE SOLD OR OFFERED, EXPOSED OR MADE AVAILABLE FOR SALE, OR TRANSFERRED OR OTHERWISE DISPOSED. ER2015 reserves the right to cancel without refund any tickets which ER2015 reasonably believes have been or are intended to be resold, offered, exposed or made available for sale, or transferred or otherwise disposed in breach of the ticketing terms and conditions.
- Any person attempting to use Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets which have been resold in breach of the ticket terms and conditions risks being refused entry to or ejected from the relevant match venue.
How do I report unauthorised use of Rugby World Cup assets?
- To report the sale of unauthorised general public tickets, please contact ER2015 at [email protected].
- To report the sale of counterfeit Rugby World Cup 2015 tickets or the unauthorised sale of ticket-inclusive supporter tour/hospitality packages, please contact [email protected]
TICKETS PURCHASED OR OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL BE VOID AND MAY BE SEIZED OR CANCELLED WITHOUT REFUND OR COMPENSATION.
Action Fraud will be replicating this alert on a regular basis, leading up to the 2015 Rugby World Cup to prevent members of the community being affected by this type/similar fraud. Please bear with us until September 2015.
Information provided on behalf of Action Fraud (National Fraud Intelligence Bureau)