The theme for Friday 28th November is “Terrorist Tools”.
- Terrorists need tools like guns, ammunition and explosives to operate. The Government is working to make it more difficult for people intent on harm to get hold of weapons and explosives.
- Firearms, ammunition and commercial explosives are regulated in the UK, which has led to the use of other chemicals to make bombs.
- There is existing legislation in place controlling the carrying of knives and other bladed articles in public.
- New EU legislation now requires certain chemicals to be bought with a permit and the sellers to report any suspicious transactions.
- Police forces across England and Wales have held a national firearms amnesty throughout October and November, encouraging people to hand in illegally held guns without risk of prosecution to reduce the chance of weapons falling into the hands of extremists.